Friday 26 June 2015

26th June - 22nd June Dreadball vs The Wife



After a games night consisting of Dominion and Ancient Terrible Things, The Wife and I were still keen to play something else. So I figure with the upcoming league I should give her a chance to get some more practice in with her Brokkrs (although the minis are the Forge Fathers she decided to upgrade her team and will get the Brokkrs done once she finishes off her Shaltari).


The Wife grabbed the ball and set to attempting to clear the way for an early strike, but was unable to make enough headway with the combination of the space dwarves lack of speed and the Veer-myn's super human agility. The start of my first rush began with one of my guards putting her ball carrying striker into the dugout for two turns and one of my strikers picking up the ball with a surprising amount of co-ordination for a rat and rushing for the larger scoring strike zone. However upon arriving he performed about as well as can be expected from a Veer-myn striker and missed the target scattering the ball.

Rush three and The Wife decided on focusing on getting physical with my players, but apart from a getting a guard off for a single turn failed to do much. Again my 3+ speed for Dodge roles managed to keep me safe. She did managed to secure the ball down the end of the pitch but..... my rush began with my striker successfully stealing the ball from her. My remaining guard on the pitch then slammed her jack that was hassling one of my "defensive" strikers sending him to the injury bench for two. The now ball carrying striker then scurried around his Brokkr counterpart and despite moving in the same action managed to not only score the strike, but showboat while doing it giving me a nice three point lead in the first half of the match.


The Wife started to get really aggressive after this over the course of the next few rushes with most of her activations going toward her guards as she attempted to clean house. Mine consisted mostly of failing to pick up the damn ball. She did manage to put another guard off for a single turn, but despite her best efforts she was unable to clear a straight path for her striker to for for the bonus point on a close zone strike. I suggested she dash one hex for a shot but her poor speed stat put her off the risk and she decided it was safer to hold the ball and wait for the next turn.


This proved to be a poor choice with one of my guards, who had sprinted back on the turn before. He came running back down the pitch and slammed her striker not only managing to put her off the pitch but potentially killing the player as well. I then bought the other guard back on and attempted to sandwich her guard as well, but after three action the best I could do was get him off for two turns after an amazing armour roll. This left me with one action to pick up the ball which I barely managed to do leaving my striker still in my half of the pitch and with in range of another of her guards.




The Wife quickly capitalized on this and put my striker down but not out with another amazing armour roll. The ball scattered out to the centre of the pitch to be picked up by one of her jacks. My rush began with my striker picking himself up off the deck and rushing over to steal the ball back. This did not go to plan. I then bought across a guard and sent the jack off for a turn with one of my strikers again managing to pick up the ball, but only just so yet again no free action. My final action had my striker heading up the pitch as far from the dwarves as I could manage.

Her next rush didn't see too much happen with most of her players just coming on to the pitch even with sprinting they couldn't get into much of a position Mine was spent getting setup for a four point strike attempt for a last rush landslide, basically just getting my striker to the zone and setting up my guards to attempt to protect his flank and lay some threat hexes around. I got greedy. The ref movement check came up with the most annoying card possible for me. The Ball Shatters! This left us with the newly launched ball at her strikers feet and one of my strike zones wide open from a vicious slam from her guard earlier which had almost killed my striker.

The Wife of course chose to head for the other strike zone and attempted another striker kill, but while knocking him down the Brokkrs were unable to penetrate his armour and the rat was merely shoved down out of the way. Leaving her striker with a clear shot which she made bring the score back to a single point to me. I began my rush by attempting to pick up the ball but unfortunately his innate Veer-myn abilities came into play again and I fumbled ending my rush and the game.

Still a one point victory for me and The Wife has definitely learned a few lessons on deployment and the vital need of the sprint action for either dwarf team which ever she settles on playing. I'll hopefully be getting a game of Bolt Action in this weekend and possibly a game of Saga. The Sister is also down from Rockhampton and we're attempting to organise a largish family games day on Monday with the various Nephews, Nieces and of course The Daughters so I'll most likely put up a few pics from that if it goes ahead.


Also don't forget to check out The Shattered Crown on kickstarter when it goes live later today (or possibly tomorrow depending on your timezone)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.