Tuesday 2 February 2016

2nd February - 31st Jan Kings of War vs The Youngest and Broken Purchasing Vows :)




The more I get done on my Abyssal Dwarves the more I've been feeling like getting an actual game in before the challenge against The Eldest Niece. The Youngest decided she was the one to step up and help me get the practice in. Now as of yet she hasn't managed to assemble her Undead force but sat down with me and built an army based off one of the Mantic boxed sets. This was going to give us a 635 point game [nice round number really ;)]. She's since built her list up to 1000 points but I think we'll need to do some research into the magic items to bolster a few units here and there.





We rolled up the straight forward "Kill!" scenario and set to deploying. Neither of us took any ranged troops so it was going to be a fairly straight forward clash of lines. Her Necromancer was unfortunately not having his best day with his Surge spell failing to really bring anyone forward more than inch or two each turn.







My gargoyles proved to be rather deadly but a change facing move followed with her only effective Surge of the game saw her mummies hit them and crush them in a single turn. They then proceeded to collapse most of my flank until finally running out of steam on the third troop I had in their path.

The centre I had more firmly under control with my Blacksoul and Lesser Obsidan Golem regiments crushing everything she threw at them. Although I did stall on the Zombies for a couple of turns.




I have to say I was really impressed with how easy the rules were to pick up and also how smoothly the game plays. I'm thinking this will be my Mass Battle Fantasy choice for the foreseeable future and I'll be looking at setting up some form of campaign to add a bit of continuing story line to the game. [I may insist on seeing some models at least partially completed first though :)].






As to broken vows, I had told The Wife that we'd (I'd) slow down on mini purchases for at least the first six months of the year. I even managed to spend the entire weekend at Cancon refusing to buy any models for myself (several for The Wife and The Daughters though, plus a few rule books and terrain for me) I finally caved when upon getting home Tor Gaming decided to have a 25% sale on the Relics store. Some Dragoons, Heavy Dragoons, a Hunting Pack, Grenadiers and an Arcanum Guard later and I can safely say I broke that vow. Luckily for me she bought slightly more pound worth of Nuem and had a good laugh at my expense :). Seeing as I had made my purchase and finished off my Angkor Heavy Mortars (and wanted a break from Dwarves for the moment) (photo to come I haven't quite managed to get a decent one of them yet) I've begun work on my Company Sargent Major and a unit of Troopers.

I also had The Brother drop round today and we got in a game of Guildball. I've been trying to organise a game with him for the last couple of months to give him a look at it but we always ended up playing something else so it was good to finally get it on the table. We had a few hiccups as I forgot a few bits and had to do a bit of flicking through the book (it'd been a while between games) but after a few turns I had it down again and it went smoothly. He walked away with a narrow win (got me with kills) and I gifted him my Butchers to call his own so I'm looking forward to see what he does with them. I'll get a report up in the next couple of days hopefully but I'm covering one of the guys anniversary weekend this week so it'll depend on how I go for time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.